Archana Verma, Saummya Tiwari, Meeta Jha, Mitashree Mitra
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
School of Regional Studies and Research, Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur- 492010, CG
Department of Education, Disha College, Ram Nagar, Raipur- 492001, CG
SoS in Psychology, Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur- 492010, CG
Professor (Retd.), Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur- 492010, CG
Volume - 27,
Issue - 1,
Year - 2021
Use of Internet has become very widespread among students of all ages and regions for various purposes in everyday life. In the present paper the effect of use of Internet by the adolescent students on their Academic Achievement is discussed systematically. Data from the students belonging to urban, rural and tribal regions of Chhattisgarh state is collected and is analysed on the basis of locale and gender. ‘t’ test and ANOVA are used to find out the effect of Internet usage on the academic achievement of the students. The result obtained shows that more use of Internet by the students improves their Academic Achievement in all locales and for both the genders.
Cite this article:
Verma, Tiwari, Jha, and Mitra (2021). Is Internet Usage improving the Academic Achievement of Adolescent Students in Chhattisgarh? A Study Across Locale and Gender. Journal of Ravishankar University (Part-A: SOCIAL-SCIENCE), 27(1), pp. 1-11.DOI: https://doi.org/10.52228/JRUA.2021-27-1-1
- Agarwal, K., and Singh, G. (2019). Social Media and Psychological Distress among Youth: A Systematic Review. Fusion, 14(1), 43-52. Retrieved 10 June 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333045300_Social_Media_and_Psychological_Distress_among_Youth_A_Systematic_Review.
- Ahmad, S. (2019). Social Media and Students' Academic performance in Nigeria. Asian Journal Of Education And E-Learning, 7(2). Retrieved 3 March 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/337774157_Social_Media_and_Students'_Academic_Performance_in_Nigeria.
- Akhtar, N. (2013). Relationship between Internet Addiction and Academic Performance among University Undergraduates. Educational Research And Reviews, 8(19). https://doi.org/10.5897/ERR2013.1539
- Al-rahim, W., Othman, M., & Musa, M. (2014). The Improvement of students' Academic performance by using social media through collaborative learning in Malaysian Higher Education. Asian Social Science, 10(8). https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v10n8p210.
- Asdaque, M., Khan, M., & Rizvi, S. (2010). Effects of Internet on the Academic Performance and Social life of University Students in Pakistan. Journal Of Education And Sociology. Retrieved 3 May 2020, from https://www.academia.edu/1000534/EFFECT_OF_INTERNET_ON_THE_ACADEMIC_PERFORMANCE_AND_SOCIAL_LIFE_OF_UNIVERSITY_STUDENTS_IN_PAKISTAN.
- Aslam, S. (2020). • Facebook by the Numbers (2020): Stats, Demographics & Fun Facts. Omnicoreagency.com. Retrieved 4 July 2020, from https://www.omnicoreagency.com/facebook-statistics/.
- Austin, W., &Totaro, M. (2011). High school students Academic performance and Internet usage. Journal Of Economics And Economic Education Research, 12(1). Retrieved 18 June 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289327756_High_school_students'_academic_performance_and_internet_usage.
- Celestine, A., &Nonyelum, O. (2018). Impact of social media on student's Academic performance. International Journal Of Scientific And Engineering Research, 9(2). Retrieved 2 June 2020, from https://www.ijser.org/researchpaper/IMPACT-OF-SOCIAL-MEDIA-ON-STUDENTS-ACADEMIC-PERFORMANCE.pdf.
- Chen, S., & Fu, Y. (2009). Internet use and Academic Achievement: Gender Differences in Early Adolescence. Adolescence, 44(176), 797-812. Retrieved 12 June 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/43531751_Internet_use_and_academic_achievement_Gender_differences_in_early_adolescence#:~:text=First%2C%20the%20number%20of%20hours,support%20and%20communication%20with%20them.
- Daraha, K. (2013). The effect of the internet use on high school students: A case study of Pattani Province of Thailand. PSU-UMS International Conference On Humanities And Social Sciences, 241-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.422
- Ellore, S., Niranjan, S., & Brown III, U. (2014). The Influence of Internet usage on Academic performance and Face-to-Face communication. Journal Of Psychology And Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 163-186. Retrieved 1 July 2020, from http://jpbsnet.com/journals/jpbs/Vol_2_No_2_June_2014/10.pdf.
- Emeka, U., &Nyeche, O. (2016). Impact of Internet usage on the Academic Performance of Undergraduate students: A case study of the University of Abuja, Nigeria. International Journal Of Scientific & Engineering Research, 7(10). Retrieved 18 June 2020, from https://www.ijser.org/researchpaper/Impact-of-Internet-Usage-on-the-Academic-Performance-of-Undergraduates-Students--A-case-study-of-the-University-of-Abuja--Nigeria.pdf.
- Galgo, G. (2015). The Perceived Effects of Internet Usage on Academic Achievement among Southeast Asian colleges Students. Catalyst, 12(2). Retrieved 3 June 2020, from.
- Jackson, L., Zhao, Y., Kolenic, A., Fitzgerald, H., Harold, R., & Eye, A. (2008). Race, gender, and Information Technology use : The new digital divide. Cyberpsychology & Behaviour, 11(4). https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.0157
- Kalra, R.K., &Manani, P. (2013). Effect of Social Networking Sites on Academic Achievement among Introverts and Extroverts. Asian Journal of Social Science & Humanities, 2(3), 401-406.
- Kemp, S. (2020). Digital 2020: India — DataReportal – Global Digital Insights. DataReportal – Global Digital Insights. Retrieved 12 June 2020, from https://datareportal.com/reports/digital-2020-india.
- Lahari D.K. (2014). Role of personality, educational background, and gender on usage of social networking sites (Doctoral Thesis), Pt. Ravi Shankar University, Raipur, India.
- Meena, P.S., Mittal, R.K., Solanki, R. K. (2014). Problematic use of Social Networking Sites among urban School going teenagers. Industrial Psychiatry Journal, 21(2), 94-97.
- Mir, S., &Paray, A. (2018). Internet Usage and Academic Performance: An Empirical Study of Secondary School Students in Kashmir. International Journal Of Computer Sciences And Engineering, 6(3). Retrieved 9 June 2020, from https://www.ijcseonline.org/spl_pub_paper/ICRIC-2018-031.pdf.
- Nazir, T. (2014). Use of Social networking sites by the secondary and higher secondary school students of Srinagar, Kashmir. International Journal Of Digital Library Services, 4(3), 231-241. Retrieved 1 June 2020, from http://www.ijodls.in/uploads/3/6/0/3/3603729/21434.pdf.
- Oluwafemi, O., Bibire, A., Mebu, V., Dung, P., &Aderibigbe, J. (2020). Conditional indirect effects of gender and School on Internet use for Academic activities and social-moral development among secondary School students in Nigeria. Cogent Social Sciences, 6(1). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2020.1748478
- Posso, A. (2016). Internet Usage and Educational outcomes Among 15 year-old Australian students. International Journal Of Communication, 10. Retrieved 2 June 2020, from https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/5586/1742.
- Raj, M., Bhattacherjee, S., & Mukherjee, A. (2018). Usage of Online Social Networking Sites among School Students of Siliguri, West Bengal, India. Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine, 40(5), 452-457. https://doi.org/10.4103/IJPSYM.IJPSYM_70_18.
- Saini, N., Sangwan, G., Verma, M., Kohli, A., Kaur, M., & Lakshmi, P. (2020). Effect of Social Networking Sites on the Quality of Life of College Students: A Cross-Sectional Study from a City in North India. The Scientific World Journal. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/8576023.
- Sharma, S., & Naik, A. (2020). Relationship of the Internet and Social Networking Sites with the Academic Achievement of School Students. Studies In Indian Place Names, 775-784. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.35572.09609 ·
- Siddiqui, S., & Singh, T. (2016). Social Media its Impact with Positive and Negative Aspects. International Journal Of Computer Applications Technology And Research, 5(2), 71-75. Retrieved 12 June 2020, from https://www.ijcat.com/archives/volume5/issue2/ijcatr05021006.pdf.
- Singh, N., &Barmola, K. (2015). Internet Addiction, Mental Health and Academic Performance of School students/Adolescents. The International Journal Of Indian Psychology, 2(3). Retrieved 3 July 2020, from.
- Siraj, H., & Salam, A. (2015). Internet usage and academic performance: A study in a Malaysian Public University. International Medical Journal, 22(2), 83-86. Retrieved 4 July 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275833912_Internet_Usage_and_Academic_Performance_A_Study_in_a_Malaysian_Public_University.
- Sivakumar, R. (2020). Effects of Social Media on Academic Performance of the Students. The Online Journal Of Distance Education And E-Learning, 8(2), 90-97. Retrieved 4 June 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/341270708_EFFECTS_OF_SOCIAL_MEDIA_ON_ACADEMIC_PERFORMANCE_OF_THE_STUDENTS.
- Teves-Pinilli, R., &Ridad, C. (2018). Social Networking and Academic Performance among Filipino Students. Prism, 23(1). Retrieved 7 March 2020, from http://www.norsuprism.com/index.php/norsuprism/article/view/278/101.
- Turel, Y., &Toraman, M. (2015). The Relationship between Internet Addiction and Academic Success of Secondary school students. Anthropologists, 20(1), 280-288. Retrieved 15 May 2020, from http://krepublishers.com/02-Journals/T-Anth/Anth-20-0-000-15-Web/Anth-20-1-000-15-Abst-PDF/T-ANTH-20-1,2-280-15-1442-Turel-Y-K/T-ANTH-20-1,2-280-15-1442-Turel-Y-K-Tx.pdf.
- Verma, A., Jha, M., Mitra, M. (2016). Digital Awareness and Internet Usage by School Students. Journal of Psychological Research, 11(2), 259-270.
- Yebowaah, F. (2018). Internet use and its effects on senior high school students in Wa municipality of Ghana. Library Philosophy and Practice. Retrieved 5 June 2020, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325413607_Internet_Use_and_its_Effect_on_Senior_High_School_Students_in_Wa_Municipality_of_Ghana.